Let's talk Allergies!
Allergic reactions begin in your immune system.
The Mayo Clinic states, "Allergies occur when your immune system reacts to a foreign substance. Your immune system produces substances known as antibodies. When you have allergies, your immune system makes antibodies that identify a particular allergen as harmful, even though it isn't. When you come into contact with the allergen, your immune system's reaction can inflame your skin, sinuses, airways or digestive system."
Our immune system is greatly impacted by inflammation.
The severity of allergies varies from person to person and can range from minor irritation to a potentially life-threatening emergency. While most allergies can't be cured, treatments can help relieve your allergy symptoms.
Below we will discuss a range of different options below from lifestyle changes, natural remedies and over the counter medication.
With allergies, we are often looking for a quick fix. Although it can solve the uncomfortable flare momentarily, and be absolutely vital at times, it doesn't get to the root of the issue. If you are looking to manage your allergies on an ongoing, long term basis, consider focusing on boosting your immune system and reducing inflammation.
How to reduce inflammation & boost your immune system
Reduce inflammatory foods such as sugar(especially sugar!), dairy, gluten & grains, caffeine, alcohol and red meat. Chat with our Natural Health Consultant, Sheena to learn more about this!
Start with 2-3 minute cold shower before your hot shower and practice the Wim Hof Method. Chat with our Natural Health Consultant, Angela to learn more about this!
Reduce stress!!! Get out in nature, focus on deep belly breathing, get at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night, intentionally slow down, enjoy some yoga. Chat with our Natural Health Consultant Natalia to learn more about this!
Vitamins, supplements, herbs and over the counter medications
1) Vitamin C boosts the immune system. It also acts as a natural antihistamine. Oxidative stress plays a key role in allergic diseases. As vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, it can help with the treatment of allergies among many other benefits.
2) Quercetin is an antihistamine as it restricts histamine from being released from cells. It also has antioxidant properties. Antioxidants work to protect the body from free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules in the body that can increase the risk of disease and quicken aging. Quercetin taken alongside Vitamin C is a great combination with added benefits.
3) Bell Lifestyle's Allergy Relief is a blend of natural herbs to help promote a normal immune response to allergens. Holy basil is traditionally used to help relieve respiratory discharge or build-up of mucus in the throat, nose and sinuses. In addition it provides antioxidants to protect cells from free radical damage.
4) St. Francis Herb Farm has an allergy relief with deep immune tonic (as seen in the picture) which is a non-drowsy natural relief for itchy eyes, sneezing, congestion and other symptoms of hay fever or allergy. This formula includes popular herbal allergy relief/immune boosting ingredients such as astragalus, reishi, schisandra, nettle and southern prickly ash.
5) Pascallerg® is a non-drowsy homeopathic remedy to relieve symptoms of hay fever, and other allergies including spring allergies. Made with a homeopathic combination of chromium kali sulphuricum, acidum formicicum, and gelsemium, it is not a natural antihistamine, but acts like one by relieving symptoms of allergic rhinitis and stimulating the body to heal itself. This allergy remedy is very gentle acting on the body. The small tablets can be used for children and adults!
6) Examples of non-sedating over-the-counter antihistamines include fexofenadine (such as Allegra) and loratadine (such as Claritin). Older antihistamines like chlorpheniramine (such as Chlor-Tripolon) and diphenhydramine (such as Benadryl) are less expensive but can make you feel sleepy or tired.
We have all these products in store and most are on our online store. If you have any questions please send us a message or come on in and talk to one of our Natural Health Consultants.